Saturday, November 8, 2008

A New Coat

Sorry to disappear on you this week. Jonah got hit with a nasty cold that leaves him (and mama) restless at night and fussy during the day, thus I'm feeling rather drained and not particularly creative. I did, however, finish up a little project this week that I'll share with you. Jonah definitely needed a new jacket this fall. All his sweaters from last winter still fit around his middle, but were quite a bit short in the arms and bodies. I decided to make his coat – prompted in part by the return of seasonally cool weather this week.
I used Burda pattern number 9634, which included a pattern for a coat and pants. (The pants are cut out, but not sewn yet.) I knew I wanted to make it from wool, but that it needed to be washable as well. So, I went to a local fabric store and bought cream colored wool suiting. I took it home, felted it, dyed it blue, and voila- washable, soft wool! I lined the coat with a fun Japanese fabric, and used 4 snaps to close the coat rather than buttons as the pattern instructed. On the whole, I think it turned out pretty well. The only drawback is that the coat is bigger and bulkier than anything J has ever worn – and he has a bit of trouble maneuvering in it. Today, while trying to pick up his toy, he tipped over on his face and couldn’t get up without help. Poor little one! (Reminds me of the boy in “The Christmas Story” who, once dressed for the winter outdoors, couldn’t move.) My favorite part is the oversized pointy hood!

Okay, so that picture makes the wool look really pilly - gah! In real life it is mostly soft and fuzzy and broken-in. On the whole, I think it turned out well. (Or, to stay true to my North Dakotan roots - I'd say its not too bad.)

And the baby in it- well I'd say he's just about perfect!

1 comment:

Grace said...

It's so beautiful, Erin. Having seen it in real life, I can definitely vouch for that. xo